Study suggests low levels of zinc can increase death risk due to COVID-19, 5 foods to add to your diet
A study recently conducted has found that low levels of zinc in the blood can have a poorer outcome for COVID-19 patients and increase their risk of death. In the study, researchers explored whether plasma zinc levels at admission are associated with disease outcomes in COVID patients.
“Lower zinc levels at admission correlate with higher inflammation in the course of infection and poorer outcome,” said study author Roberto Güerri-Fernández, Hospital Del Mar, Spain, reported IANS.
“Plasma zinc levels at admission are associated with mortality in Covid-19 in our study,” Güerri-Fernández added.
The authors did a retrospective analysis of symptomatic admitted patients to a tertiary university hospital in Barcelona over the period from March 15, 2020, to April 30, 2020. Data on existing health conditions, demography, etc was collected, and the severity of COVID-19 was assessed at the time of admission.
Here”s The Five Food Which You Should Add In Your Diet
- Legumes – Legumes are rich in zinc and should be added to your diet for a balanced, nutritious diet. Soaking, boiling, sprouting, etc help in better absorption of zinc from this food group.
- Nuts and seeds – Nuts and seeds are not only a great mid-day snack for weight loss, they are also very nutritious. Pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and cashews particularly are rich in the nutrient.
- Dairy – Dairy foods are a rich source of zinc, among other nutrients. Dairy food items like milk and cheese should be added to your diet for a healthy body and defence system.
- Eggs – Eggs are known for being a good source of protein. Eggs, however, can also boost immunity as they are high in zinc content. They can easily be consumed for a healthy, filling breakfast.
- Dark chocolate – Dark chocolate is known to have health benefits such as relieving menstrual pain, and helping in boosting metabolism. Dark chocolate is also rich in zinc, which makes it an ideal, healthy dessert choice.
Tap To Explore More : Daily Hunt